How coupon culture has seeped into Telangana’s middle-class

Hyderabad: In a country where every penny matters, clever consumers are making use of the power of discounts to achieve amazing savings.

From July 26, 2022, to July 26, 2023, 88.14% of individuals surveyed in Telangana looked for coupon codes, promo codes, deals, offers, discount codes, and cash back.

All those surveyed use phones and do online shopping, Telangana has the highest rate of using coupons, according to data presented by `Grab On’.

How many Indians look for coupons and deals?

A spectacular narrative of growth is emerging in the frenetic world of India’s ever-changing internet business. With the digital revolution sweeping the country, the e-commerce sector has grown by double digits over the last decade, rising from US$ 46.2 billion in 2020 to a predicted US$ 111.40 billion by 2025.

As more Indians embrace online shopping, a potent combination of smartphone usage, groceries, and garment purchases, and alluring discount schemes is driving the country to new heights of consumption.

The growth of the e-commerce business would be incomplete without a closer examination of the driving reason behind its meteoric rise: coupons and bargains.

A comprehensive GrabOn research studying coupon searches and usage habits revealed an intriguing trend.

Indians from all across the country are frantically searching for coupons as if they hold the key to wealth.

According to the survey, a specific group of the population is leading the charge in the search for discounts – the youth. Their technological know-how and unwavering passion for transactions have set the standard for others to follow.

GrabOn has prepared research on digital shoppers aged 18 to 64 to examine the coupon culture and user preferences to better understand consumers, their search behaviors, and category preferences.

The report’s most important findings

Users search for ‘Offers’ more than coupons daily, with a total of 1,320,000 searches out of 3,309,600.

Peak hours for coupon-related searches and usage are between 7 and 10 p.m.

According to the research, male users account for 69.27% of the coupon market, while female users account for the remaining 30.73%.

Coupons searched in a year

According to the research, digital coupons have achieved enormous popularity in the Indian market, with an astounding total of 3,309,600 coupons searched in the previous year.

Standard coupons, coupon codes, promo codes, deals, offers, and cashback possibilities are the most common coupon varieties, with each having a distinct function to attract various sectors of customers.

This increase in coupon usage reflects the expanding importance of online shopping and customers’ desire to save money on their purchases.

Most people searched for “coupon” and “cashback” while the least searched was “discount code”.

Who are India’s most vigilant coupon hunters?

The data gives useful insights into the demographics of coupon consumers. Males account for 69.27% of all users, with females accounting for the remaining 30.73%. This demonstrates that the tendency of seeking discounts is not confined to any one gender, but rather is shared by a wide variety of customers.

When it comes to age groupings, the data reveals that the bulk of coupon seekers are between the ages of 18 and 24, accounting for 42.49% of all users. The 25-34 age bracket comes in second, accounting for 30.47% of coupon hunters. This suggests that younger generations are more active in looking for coupons and taking advantage of the numerous market offerings.

Coupon collectors by age group

The 18-to-24-year-old age group accounted for 42.49% of all coupon searches, indicating the greatest degree of interest in money-saving options.

Users aged 25 to 34 years old accounted for 30.47% of coupon searchers, demonstrating that a considerable proportion of young adults are actively looking for savings.

The age group of 35 to 44 years old accounted for 12.20% of coupon searches, indicating a moderate interest in taking advantage of bargains and offers.

Individuals aged 45 to 54 years made up 7.11% of all coupon seekers, indicating a reduced but still considerable interest in saving money.

The 55-64 age group accounted for 4.78% of coupon searches, indicating some interest in obtaining promotional deals.

Users aged 65 and over accounted up 2.94% of all coupon seekers, demonstrating a smaller but present demographic looking for ways to save money.

Time is of the essence: peak coupon usage hours

With millions of individuals actively looking for coupons, it’s intriguing to watch the timing of their participation in this money-saving endeavor. The peak period for coupon searches and usage, according to the statistics, is from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., showing that after a long day of work or other activities, individuals rest and engage in online shopping, looking for appealing offers and discounts during their leisure hours.

Another popular period for users is between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m., most likely during lunch breaks or free afternoon hours. Surprisingly, the data indicates the lowest search activity after 11 p.m., when the majority of users are believed to be relaxing or sleeping.

Regional coupon consumption preferences

When the data is broken down by area, it reveals intriguing variations in coupon usage preferences among Indian states. Telangana tops the pack with an average of 88.14 searches per coupon-related phrase, followed by Andhra Pradesh with 70.86 searches.

Karnataka, Chandigarh, and Delhi are also quite interested in finding coupons and discounts, showing the prominence of coupon culture in India’s southern and northern areas.

However, several places have lower coupon consumption rates, such as Lakshadweep, where no coupon searches were registered within the provided period. While this might be ascribed to a variety of variables, it does reveal a variance in coupon acceptance throughout the country.

Diverse coupon search trends in Indian cities

Even though Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Chandigarh, and Delhi are the states with the most coupon searches, the patterns at the city level paint a different picture. Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Delhi, and Pune were the top cities for coupon searches. These urban centers, recognized for their thriving economic activity and vast populations, show a propensity for looking for online coupons to get discounts and offers on a variety of items and services.

According to the research, metropolitan cities in India have a larger proclivity to use online coupons, owing to variables such as higher internet penetration, increasing e-commerce usage, and a greater knowledge of available savings.

The cities’ global nature and broad consumer base are probable factors in the high number of coupon searches reported in these areas.

Travel is the most sought-after category for coupons

Certain industries stand out as the most popular alternatives for consumers seeking discounts and special deals within a varied selection of 50 categories.

Travel emerged as the most popular category, with a significant number of searches reaching 4,276,689. Fashion came in second, with 2,965,656 searches, demonstrating a strong desire to get discounts and bargains in the fashion business.

Meal coupons were also popular, with 2,900,222 searches, indicating a desire to save money on meals while enjoying a variety of gastronomic experiences. With 2,420,362 searches, entertainment coupons placed fourth in popularity, demonstrating the attraction of discounts for leisure activities and entertainment alternatives.

Electronics and groceries attracted significant interest, with 1,436,602 and 1,299,657 searches, respectively, demonstrating that people are eager to save money on both tech products and everyday necessities. Services, beauty, recharging, and health were all prominent categories, with each garnering a large number of searches.

The research shows the interests of online coupon hunters, giving businesses and marketers useful information for efficiently tailoring their promotional campaigns. Businesses in these top categories have a one-of-a-kind opportunity to attract more customers by providing tempting coupon codes and discounts, boosting their client base, and driving sales. As these trends grow, businesses must stay current on the most popular coupon categories to remain competitive in the online market.

Business perspectives

Data on coupon use gives significant insights for e-commerce enterprises to better customize their marketing campaigns. Businesses may attract a larger audience and foster customer loyalty by providing tempting coupon codes, promo codes, offers, and cashback alternatives. Coupons are popular among customers of all demographics, making them an efficient tool for client acquisition and retention.


Data on coupon use in India presents a vivid picture of the modern consumer’s fondness for discounts and special deals. Coupon utilization has become an inclusive and ubiquitous practice, with a remarkable gender balance and involvement across many age groups. Furthermore, the choices displayed by various states emphasize the differences in customer wants as well as the success of discount marketing techniques in certain locations. The data also highlight the significance of timing, with nighttime hours proving to be the best time for firms to maximize their coupon-related operations.

As the Indian market evolves, merchants, brands, and e-commerce platforms may use these patterns to optimize their discount promotions, increasing consumer pleasure and loyalty. Finally, coupons have become an important component of the Indian retail scene, providing value to both customers and companies.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *