By India Today News Desk: For the fourth consecutive day, the Nuh district administration in Haryana continued its action against “illegal” construction, demolishing the Sahara Hotel with bulldozers on Sunday.
The authorities stated that the violence in Nuh on July 31 started when some individuals threw stones from the roof of the Sahara Hotel at a religious procession.
However, the restaurant owner clarified that the video shown by the administration, which they claim belongs to him, is actually from a location in Sohna.
“The video of the hotel shown by the administration does not belong to me. It is in Sohna. I have shown the footage but no one listened to us,” Jamshed told India Today.
“I have been running this restaurant for the last nine years on rent. The administration is doing injustice. When clashes broke out in Nuh, I asked my workers to close the restaurant. My staff and I went to a colony located behind us,” he said.
DEMOLITIONS IN VIOLENCE-HIT HARYANA
On Saturday, around two dozen medical stores and other shops were razed to the ground in Nuh. Bulldozers rolled in at Shaheed Hasan Khan Mewati Government Medical College, Nalhar, in Nuh, amid heavy police deployment.
On Friday, several houses were torn down in Nalhar which were along the route on which the VHP procession was attacked earlier this week. And, on Thursday, the Haryana government razed shanties of migrants living in Tauru, located 20 km away from violence-hit Nuh, for encroaching on government land. The action on Thursday evening was against jhuggis belonging to illegal Bangladeshi immigrants in Tauru town allegedly encroaching upon Haryana Shahari Vikas Pradhikaran (HSVP) land, reported news agency PTI.
The authorities confirmed that residents of these “illegal” establishments were those involved in the July 31 riots in the area.
Nuh’s SDM Ashwini Kumar said the demolition drive was on the orders of Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar. Home Minister Anil Vij indicated on Friday the demolitions were part of action against those involved in the recent communal clashes.
Six people, including two home guards and a cleric, died in the clashes that erupted in Muslim-dominated Nuh when a Vishva Hindu Parishad procession was attacked by mobs on July 31.
The Haryana government has extended the suspension of mobile internet services till August 8 in Nuh. The ban on internet services has also been extended in Palwal till August 7, news agency PTI reported. Police said a total of 216 people have been arrested in connection with the communal clashes and around 104 cases have been registered.
With inputs from Anmol Bali
Sahara restaurant demolition